I have finished my the quilt for my Operation Kid Comfort child!! It took a total of five hours to assemble the entire quilt and I have learned an entirely new method that I will use again. ASYMCA suggested using a fleece backing and no batting. I was not sure how this would work, but the result was a “blankie” rather than a stiff quilt. I will do this for the next baby shower I go to!
First I basted using pins. I normally use a basting spray, but fleece does not respond well to sprays. I only had two layers rather than three so using just pins workd out great.
Using chalk, I marked my lines that were not on a seam.
I changed the needle to a stretch needle since fleece is very stretchy. I also used my walking foot. I have a Bernina 820 that has a dual feed system which means the walking foor in integrated into the machine. It is easily one of my most favorite features on the machine.
I then began to sew using white thread and a 3.5 stitch length. The resulting grid pattern can be seen easily on the backing.
I then basted around the edge and trimmed the excess off. I then had to pick a binding fabric. I was lucky to have a lavender scrap that was just big enough. I cut my binding to 2 5/8″ and press in half lengthwise. I sew the binding on the back using a 3/8″ seam allowance (I like to use blue painter’s tape to mark my edge when I am not using my 1/4″ foot). I then machine stitched the binding to the front.
On the spur of the moment I decided to use a decorative stitch in the center of each block. I chose a flower stitch that resembled the flowers in the fabric.
I pulled the threads to tha back and tied off (the fleece helps hide the knots). The quilt was finished! It measure 41″ x 41″. Perfect size for a little one to snuggle.