Watch out, people! I have got a bolt of muslin and I am not afraid to use it!!!
A friend of my parents gave me a bolt of muslin that she insisted she would never use and wanted me to have it. I am fixing a quilt for her, but I will save that story for another post. Anyway, I will admit that at the time I took the fabric with no real plan…but how many of us have a plan when we get fabric..really?! It struck me a few weeks back that I could use the muslin in two different projects. It would have the right look and I wouldn’t have to buy more fabric…double win!!
First, I finished my Stash Bee quilt. I put together all the blocks and added a wonky border to two sides. I love the wonkiness of it all!
For the backing, I used the muslin and scraps from my scrap bin. Anything that was already sewn together from previous projects I threw in the mix. I included the log cabin my husband made along with a few of my own wonky log cabins. One block got lost in the mail and the member (Debbie Gay at Back River Designs) had to make a new block to send me. Since I am impatient, I put the blocks together without Debbie’s block. But, I got the block in time to put it on the back where it stands out (see the log cabin on the left).
It was fun exercise in improvisational piecing. I plan to use this quilt as a quilting sampler so I can practice my free motion. I have been reading a lot about free motion (doing lots of doodles) and really believe that is the next level for me. I was lucky enough to get in the Elizabeth Hartman class at QuiltCon (free motion quilting on the home machine). I even found a very cool quilting tutorial by Leah Day (I plan on practicing on my muslin!!!). I also have a pack of decorative threads I got at the International Quilt Festival in Long Beach ready to try out:)
Next muslin project, my Craftsy block of the month top!! I used muslin to sash the blocks and to border the quilt. I also added a scrappy middle border. FYI: the class is still available and is FREE!!!
Side story, This is my adult rhea (pronounced ree). I am an identical twin. When my sister and I were young we developed twin speech pattern which is a fancy way to say we made up our own twin language. Part of that language was the rhea (it’s how I pictured it being spelled…and it’s our language so I get to decide these things) which was my blanket. I loved my first one to death and my mother was able to find a suitable replacement. I still have the replacement but that is beside the point. What will make this a rhea and not just a quilt, satin binding…oh yeah!
Any way, I thought the muslin worked really well with the fabrics I chose (AKA -my old lady prints). I used another Craftsy class to make the back. It was the Elizabeth Hartman’s creative quilt backs (another FREE class). I used Elizabeth’s tips to create a fun improvisational backing. I will finish this quilt with some diamond grid quilting.
I leave you with this…Licorice Fizz!!